Sunday, December 6, 2009

Top 50 Albums of the Decade - Part 3 (15-1)

Let's do this thing.

15. Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
To quote tolkkii from HolyFuckingShit40000:
"It's one of my favourite albums, but honestly it sounds like the following events occurred.
Hey man, let's jam!
Ok, let's play some Black Sabbath, some Master of Reality stuff.
Sure bro, let me roll a fattie first.
*smokes*
What were we going to do with these instruments?
Fuck, I don't know.
*Jams*
Duuuuuude"
14. Cult of Luna - Salvation
This and Isis' Oceanic are the two benchmarks which all post metal should strive to. A stunning album from beginning to end.
13. Converge - Jane Doe
Behold, metalcore done well. 12 punches in the face delivered with intensity levels rarely seen in music. Might take a while to digest, but it's worth it and then some. Just thinking about the sheer awesome of 'Concubine' and 'Homewrecker' is making me a little giddy.
12. Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Recorded over 5 years, spanning 2 discs, containing an accompanying 70-page booklet and going so far as to have individually painted discs, Deathconsciousness is clearly an album close to the heart of its two creators. And why wouldn't it be? Spanning multiple genres and moods, Deathconsciousness is a masterful achievement and, arguably, the best concept album of the decade.
11. Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
I've discussed both this band and album at length previously so all I'll say is fuck yes.
10. Melt-Banana - Cell Scape























9. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion
Embarrassingly gushed over here. Still the best album of 2009 (bite me, Scott).
8. Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Just edging out its follower, Strawberry Jam epitomises what I like about Animal Collective. It's light and fun, but with some fascinating musical ideas to help give it some substance. Besides how can you resist an album with both 'For Reverend Green' and 'Fireworks'.
7. Mouse on the Keys - Sezession
Shamelessly fanboyed over here. Probably my best relatively unknown discovery of the last 12 months.
6. Boris - Flood
Ah, Boris...If I didn't give myself the 2 album restriction then this list would probably have at least 5 releases by this band (you see that I've already crammed 2 of their collaborations in here). Consisting of a single 70 minute track, Flood is like being slowly crushed by the ocean...but somehow in a good way.
5. Kashiwa Daisuke - Program Music 1
After I made a Japanese music post at Green Gravy, this was recommended to me by, again, Alex from Whatever Takes Your Fancy. This was, probably, the best album recommendation that I've ever received. Think of the electronic-influenced post-rock of World's End Girlfriend, then imagine it...better. Quite easily the best electronic album I've heard from this decade, if not ever.
4. Isis - Oceanic
The album that got me into sludge/post-metal and, really, metal in general. Crushingly heavy in parts, gorgeous in others, Oceanic is a masterpiece.
3. Radiohead - KidA
The musical shift from The Bends to OK Computer was matched if not surpassed when KidA was released. This caused quite the initial backlash but, as people actually started listening to Radiohead's new sound, they found that they were just as good as ever. I won't say too much more as KidA has been topping pretty much every best of list, but listen to the first 5 seconds of 'Everything in its Right Place' and you know that this is something special.
2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
The theme of Godpeed's F♯A♯∞ was, quite easily, the apocalypse, and it was awesome. The band's next full follow up, Lift Your Skinny Fists etc etc, didn't really seem to posses any central idea or premise. Instead, what Skinny Fists does is show the full spectrum of...existence, both the good and the bad. And it is through this simple idea that Godspeed are able to tell us more than they had previously. This would all mean nothing if the music wasn't there to back it up, but the nine-piece are in full form, from their trademark crescendos to, for the first time, drone and rock(ish) styles. In my opinion, the pinnacle of post-rock.
1. Boris - Boris at Last: -Feedbacker-
I wish I could describe how incredible this is and why it's the best album of the last 10 years, if not of all time, but words seem to lose me whenever I think about this album. This review does a better job than I could, but words can only get you so far. Listen to this album. Now.


Like I said at the start, I'm sure there are other albums released this decade, I haven't yet heard, that I'll like just as much if not more than those listed here. But that doesn't stop this list from being, in my opinion, fantastic releases and all highly recommended. Also, I'm quite willing to upload any album on this list at request so shout out if interested

1 comment:

  1. Great list bro.
    I think I'm finally coming around to Feedbacker. Kinda.

    ReplyDelete