Sunday, July 4, 2010

Album of the Week: Joanna Newsom - Ys


In an effort to make this blog a little more active, I'll be doing a (short) weekly update about which of the albums I liked best out of those I acquired during the previous past 7 days. Hopefully it will last somewhat.

This week's recipient is the gorgeous Joanna Newsom and her opus Ys. As my Have One On Me review shows, I'm quite a fan of Ms Newsom's work and Ys is probably her best album, though I'd still recommend Have One On Me to those who haven't heard her unique style of music before as it's more accessible. Ys is a fantastic combination of cryptic lyrics with amazing musicianship, both from Joanna's harp and the backing band (arranged by Van Dyke Parks). Featuring only 5 tracks but with a running time of just less than an hour, Ys definitely takes a while to digest, but the end result is quite spectacular.

Highlights: Emily, Sawdust & Diamonds, Only Skin

Honourable mention: Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst

No comments:

Post a Comment